We’ve often said that the real talent pool of the Republican party is the governors. We are excited to report that Sarah Huckabee Sanders, the former Trump Administration press secretary who won the Arkansas governorship in a landslide last year, has hit the ground running.
“A bold conservative reformer is coming to the governor’s mansion,” she announced at her inauguration.
Here is the Huckabee agenda:
- A state hiring freeze, which would also freeze any new regulations.
- A tax cut during her first year in office, with the goal of eliminating the state income tax completely. She noted that neighboring Tennessee and Texas are seeing massive job growth in part to their no-tax status.
- An executive order to provide salary incentives for high-performing teachers.
- An executive order to block any “left-wing political agenda” in Arkansas schools.
- An expansion of charter schools and a review of whether public schools are being transparent with parents about their curriculum.
Sanders’ education agenda is being shaped by her new Secretary of Education Jacob Oliva, a former teacher who previously worked for Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis as head of the Florida Department of Education.
We recall tangling with Mike Huckabee, Sarah’s father when he was governor of Arkansas from 1996 to 2007 as he pursued tax hikes and higher spending. It looks like his daughter will be going in an entirely welcome opposite direction.