We joked last week that it wouldn’t be long before Biden warned Americans that kittens would die if the House Republican debt containment plan were to become law.
Well, the Democrats haven’t accused the Republicans of that – yet – but a recent bulletin from the White House is full of hysteria and bogus doom-and-gloom scenarios.
Here are a few of the more shameful scare tactics that much of the media have widely amplified:
- 30 million fewer veteran outpatient visits
- 200,000 students lose head start
- 1.7 million women lose nutrition support
- 30,000 fewer miles of rail lines inspected for safety
- A delay in cancer and Alzheimer’s research
- Work requirements would mean millions of people lose Medicaid coverage
- 108,000 fewer teachers for low-income students
- Take away nutrition services like Meals on Wheels for more than one million seniors
We decided to read through the House Republican Debt Plan document that passed the House. We searched up and down and sideways and far and wide and we never saw a single reference to Meals on Wheels, veteran benefit cuts, cancer research, cuts in rail safety programs, or veterans benefits. The White House LITERALLY made this all up.
The plan simply requires that overall appropriations for Fiscal Year 2024 shall be no higher than the Fiscal Year 2022. The Biden Administration says this is a 22% cut, but that is only because the Dems were planning on INCREASING spending by 22%.
It’s a perfect reminder of the budget shell game that is played in Washington. A “cut” is not a decrease in spending, but a reduction in spending from what Congress WANTED to spend. In other words, a “cut” is a decrease in the increase.
No wonder we have a $31 trillion debt.